Thursday, April 26, 2012

Should EA separate the offline from online VPs?

Going through the variety of opinions and feedback on Clubs and Pro Ranked online vs offline Player Career Mode, a question that's indirectly raising itself is whether FIFA as a whole would benefit from separating/changing your offline from online VP progress?
There are good points raised for both sides:
For separating the offline from online VP:
1. Prevents VP cloning (cheating) by storing each player's progress online, not on a save file you share with others.
2. To level up, you'd need to play Club/Pro Ranked matches not simply "Barca vs Barnet on 1-1-8" friendlies.
3. Lets you try out different, multiple "careers" (different positions, different player styles) on Player Career Mode (offline), without impacting your Club's VP (online). For example, you like to live the career of a striker in BAP, but in your club you're a defender/midfielder.
4. Generally speaking, online you're required to have a high rating (e.g. many clubs only look for 85+ free agents; many want to simply start with real life players without having to go through a development process). On the other hand, offline it'd be more fun to start with very low rating and develop more slowly.
5. Similar to #4, there are many suggestions that would work on CM-Player but not so much for Clubs and vice versa. For example, while adding practice drills would help CM in terms of giving us something new to do, they can become easily exploitable to reach 90+ VP that you can take online. Separating the two would allow EA to take more freedom in developing both features without worrying about a conflict/unbalance.

For keeping the same VP offline and online:
1. It's simpler to have one VP to worry about.
2. People don't always play online, so it's better to be able to level up offline then play the odd game with friends online.
3. Similar to #2, as clubs are looking for highly rated free agents, it means you'd need to play more and more Pro Ranked before you'd find a club, and we all know how random Pro Ranked matches are. Getting the position you want to play isn't particularly easy either on Pro Ranked.
4. If the separation isn't coupled with different development systems for each mode, then it'll mean doing the same laundry list of accomplishments twice. Accomplishments are already being called "boring" and if anything we will have more of them next year.
5. Add your own. I just wanted to add a fifth point to make things look balanced :)


Sooo.. what do you guys think? .. Should EA do something to differentiate offline from online in terms of our VPs? or should they keep it the way it is right now?

Thanks!
|||I want multiple VPs. I couldn't care less about online play but it should be possible to have different VPs for different CMs.|||


I want multiple VPs. I couldn't care less about online play but it should be possible to have different VPs for different CMs.

That's sort of the reason why I personally favour separating offline from online, though I do care a lot about online play as well.
Right now the only way your player would develop is via those accomplishments, so even if you do it strictly offline, you're still limited to one "career" (unless you delete your save file and start over, then again, why would you do that when the accomplishments are identical?).
I'd like to pick a player position/role/style in CM and I'd have specific season expectations and development path for that role throughout my career. Then I want to have multiple careers each with their own unique goals. Plus, I don't want to be rated 80+ within my first season :)
At the same time though, I understand that these roles might be different from the one(s) I'd be playing in Clubs, and I also understand for many people online is more important than offline and so making the development of VPs slower makes things worse (which is something I also agree with).
So for the sake of enabling both modes to reach their full potential, a separation is perhaps necessary.
Maybe your online persona can still "benefit" from what you do using your offline player careers (be it some sort of master list of accomplishments/milestones that rewards your online VP with some boosts), but I just think they shouldn't be identical.|||Voted yes. Would like to see seperate VPs. Im not much of an offline player. I would like to see the vp grow through pro rank and clubs. But on the other hand, if they make CM go online(my fifa wet dream :) ) like what pes have done with master league, i wouldnt mind the VP being the same.|||


Voted yes. Would like to see seperate VPs. Im not much of an offline player. I would like to see the vp grow through pro rank and clubs. But on the other hand, if they make CM go online(my fifa wet dream :) ) like what pes have done with master league, i wouldnt mind the VP being the same.

I like the concept of an online career mode (to start with a bunch of no-names and build my squad up), and EA has Clubs as well which I think they can also turn into a CM-like mode that uses real life human beings in transfer markets and such :) (but nothing too complex obviously).
|||




Voted yes. Would like to see seperate VPs. Im not much of an offline player. I would like to see the vp grow through pro rank and clubs. But on the other hand, if they make CM go online(my fifa wet dream :) ) like what pes have done with master league, i wouldnt mind the VP being the same.

I like the concept of an online career mode (to start with a bunch of no-names and build my squad up), and EA has Clubs as well which I think they can also turn into a CM-like mode that uses real life human beings in transfer markets and such :) (but nothing too complex obviously).


Ye i am hoping(fingers crossed) that they go that way with CM. In my eyes its a major way forward for that mode. PES has set the stall for it. Hoping EA follow suit.|||


Ye i am hoping(fingers crossed) that they go that way with CM. In my eyes its a major way forward for that mode. PES has set the stall for it. Hoping EA follow suit.

Well, when you say it that way then I'm afraid I have to disagree :)
CM is still by far the most popular game mode (I don't have statistical data in front of me but that's based on a quick survey of the forums) and I think there are lots of ways EA can improve it and make it much more addictive, without having to turn it into an online mode. In fact, you'd be losing a big part of the mode's realism by turning it into an online mode simply because there's no way to organize a whole season (let alone a whole career) with the online community (It'll most definitely be a Galacticos Football- / FIFA Superstars- / Captain Tsubasa-style career mode, which is what MLO also is). Plus, if we look at the benchmark of management modes, we see that even FM Live is nowhere near as realistic (or stable) as FM offline. For all these reasons, even though I'd love to see an online CM-like mode, I don't think it'd be a good move on EA's part to completely forget the offline one.
.. and I think this sort of relates to the reasoning behind my question above. Realism is a major concern for many people, but sometimes it's difficult to do when you mix the offline and online world. People want realistic (read: slower) growth so they appreciate the journey, but there's no such thing as a "journey" to 99% of online users. And it's not about who's right or who's wrong, they're just two different worlds with two different expectations/standards. I simply don't see a way to please everyone without some form of separation/distinction between the two. It doesn't have to be a complete separation (like NHL, I think), but some differentiation would help in my opinion.|||




I want multiple VPs. I couldn't care less about online play but it should be possible to have different VPs for different CMs.

That's sort of the reason why I personally favour separating offline from online, though I do care a lot about online play as well.
Right now the only way your player would develop is via those accomplishments, so even if you do it strictly offline, you're still limited to one "career" (unless you delete your save file and start over, then again, why would you do that when the accomplishments are identical?).
I'd like to pick a player position/role/style in CM and I'd have specific season expectations and development path for that role throughout my career. Then I want to have multiple careers each with their own unique goals. Plus, I don't want to be rated 80+ within my first season :)
At the same time though, I understand that these roles might be different from the one(s) I'd be playing in Clubs, and I also understand for many people online is more important than offline and so making the development of VPs slower makes things worse (which is something I also agree with).
So for the sake of enabling both modes to reach their full potential, a separation is perhaps necessary.
Maybe your online persona can still "benefit" from what you do using your offline player careers (be it some sort of master list of accomplishments/milestones that rewards your online VP with some boosts), but I just think they shouldn't be identical.

I share your sentiments exactly. Make sure these thoughts get to the devs if you can.
I also agree about CM not going online. CM has no business going online when the offline version is so short on features and arguably poor, especially compared to what the competition has had for years. And if some form of a career mode does go online, it must be separate from the dedicated offline version. Probably the best solution if there is going to be an online career mode is to build it from UT, since it's already half way there.|||Probably put my point across wrong. I wasnt meaning for it to interfere with the offline mode. I understand there is plenty off players that prefer it this way. But ive played offline for years and prefer online. Just my preference. Im just after something different with Fifa now. Its current set up is boring(for me anyway). Thats why i was hoping for some form of online CM, like yous have said with a bunch of generics to build up. Not sure it would happen,but it needs something new.
Ps sorry for taking your thread of topic.|||ive never got into the vp clubs idea. one thing i would like to be taken out, or at least to be given the option to. is playing a career mode with my vp in the squad.|||


ive never got into the vp clubs idea. one thing i would like to be taken out, or at least to be given the option to. is playing a career mode with my vp in the squad.

Can't you do that already in FIFA?

No comments:

Post a Comment